Friday, February 29, 2008

The truth about Vanilla

When I started out with OBI in it's old incarnation a.k.a Siebel Analytics I had this depressing thought that I am headed no where.After all it's a tool.I was still in thrall of C and Oracle.That's the way real men code in exalted ambience of black surly console of Unix .Oracle with all it's powerful analytic functions and later with it's extensions of model clause in 10g made all Analytic tasks a cake walk.Then why do I need a dumb Siebel Analytics.It was with these not so comforting thoughts I started my journey.Later , on maturer reflections it occured to me more than raw computing power and elegance of Analytic functions what really mattered was the hard day to day realities of Business.Siebel being astute had everything wrapped up in it's nice vanilla.If I needed to build an application for a Pharma company I needn't start from scratch.Everything was already there all I needed to do was to make appropriate modifications.Also if the source OLTP happened to be a Siebel database then it was even more easy.All ETL routines were pre defined and we were able to cut development time by huge amount.Very few people appreciate this but one of the best stuff you get packaged with OBI is it's Vanilla rpd.
So next time do take a peek at the Vanilla.
I promise you'll come up with something worth a Butter Scotch even if it's a plain Vanilla.

No comments: